Thursday, July 30, 2009

Non-Clinical Medical Careers in Politics

Do you think that it's a good time to get into healthcare politics? So many healthcare issues are being discussed in Washington right now. If you're passionate about politics, maybe you'd be interested in investing in some formal education.

The Graduate School of Political Management (GSPM) at the George Washington University offers a Master of Professional Studies in Political Management. The George Washington University's programs are co-developed by university content specialists and outside partners, including government agencies, professional associations, consulting organizations, business and industry leaders.

Students networked with respected fellow professionals across the nation including:
  • Public Policy Project Managers
  • Government Department Managers
  • Disability Advocacy Consultants
  • Directors for R&D campaign planning
My favorite FAQ about this program is: "How do the GSPM's political programs differ from political science or public policy programs?" Here's the answer:
The School's curriculum focuses on applied or practical politics, not on theory-building. Public policy or public administration programs focus upon decision-making integral to the machinery of government, notably executive branch agencies. In contrast, students of political management concentrate upon the political processes that influence those agencies from outside the formal apparatus of government, through such activities as lobbying or elections. Our faculty are experienced political professionals: our full-time professors have extensive political experience, and our adjunct faculty are professionals working at the top level in the field.
Social networking is so important in the corporate world and even more critical in the world of politics. Maybe you can get a head start through this program. I don't have a love for politics, so I'm not interested, but perhaps you may want to learn more. Visit:

Of course, you could also pursue one of these degrees:
  • Master of Health Administration (MHA)
  • Master of Health Care Administration (MHA)
  • Master of Health Services Administration (MHSA)
  • Master of Public Health (MPH)
  • Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Health Care
Of course, you could always consider these options:
  • Master of Public Administration in Health Policy and Management (MPA) - I suggest NYU Wagner
  • Master of Science in Health Policy Research (MSHP) - I suggest the University of Pennsylvania
  • Master of Science in Health Services Research - I suggest Stanford
  • Master of Science in Health Policy and Management - I suggest Harvard
  • Master of Science in Health Care Management - I suggest Harvard
If you want to cover it all:
  • Master of Science in Health Services Research, Policy and Administration (MS-HSRP&A) - you can get this degree at the University of Minnesota

No comments:

Post a Comment