I've personally had the opportunity to correspond with many physicians about this topic. When discussions revolving around health care reform were active, there were probably even more physicians actively thinking about leaving clinical practice.
Here are some common questions that repeatedly seem to come up:
- Does it make sense to leave a relatively "stable" career in clinical medicine to pursue a business career during a recession?
- How do I make the transition if I lack industry work experience?
- What type of salary could I expect to make if I leave clinical medicine to work for a company?
- How long will it take to find a non-clinical job?
So many factors impact the answers to these questions. Some of those factors include:
- Your age
- Your medical specialty
- Your ability/willingness to relocate
- Your skills outside of clinical medicine
- Your willingness to travel for work
- Your computer skills
- and so on...