Medical Research Specialist
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine - Washington, DC 20016
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is a nonprofit organization working toward compassionate and effective medical practice, research, and health promotion. For the last 27 years, PCRM has led the way for reforms of federal nutrition policies, and our clinical research programs are breaking new ground in diabetes, cancer, and other serious medical conditions. We have fought for an emphasis on prevention, higher ethical standards in research, and scientific advances in basic research and effective drug development. Over the years, we have taken on battles to end ethically questionable experiments involving children and inhumane animal experiments and have worked to improve science education. We have worked with physicians, federal regulators, politicians, researchers, educators, students, and concerned citizens. And we have so much more work to do.
PCRM is seeking to hire a Medical Research Specialist to play an integral role with our work advocating for nonanimal research methods. This means evaluating specific uses of animals in research, understanding methods of research that do not involve animals, and working with decision-makers and the press to promote ethical research.
Research Evaluation and Writing
- Draft critical reviews of animal research, and examine the predictive value of animal experimentation for human health outcomes
- Produce relevant background materials for PCRM campaigns and initiatives
- Identify opportunities to write public comments to relevant institutions and lead collaborative submissions as appropriate
- Contribute to op-eds, letters to the editor, and other publications for a lay audience
Outreach and Collaboration
- Serve as media spokesperson on various issues related to the use of animals in research.
- Attend and present at professional medical and scientific conferences on topics relevant to specific research fields
- Identify and pursue areas of potential collaboration with key figures within federal regulatory agencies, scientific and medical professional organizations, and private industry
- Represent PCRM to a variety of audiences including staff on Capitol Hill, the public, and our membership
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- M.D., Ph.D., or equivalent
- Experience with research evaluation and writing required
- Experience presenting scientific concepts to professional and lay audiences required
- Laboratory and/or clinical research experience preferred
- Experience executing a campaign including building coalitions and negotiating with stakeholders preferred
- Leadership experience preferred
- Experience with media relations is a plus (PCRM can also provide media training)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to advocate PCRM’s position and convey complex scientific issues to professional and lay audiences
- Ability to lead and contribute to campaigns as well as other initiatives including skill at bringing creativity to the effort to reduce and replace the use of animals in corporate, government, and university research programs
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, prioritize, work well under pressure, meet deadlines, and follow projects through to completion in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to develop solutions to any identified problems
- Professional skills, demeanor, and work ethic
- Ability to maintain a sense of enthusiasm, urgency, efficiency, and flexibility
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Enthusiasm for and dedication to PCRM’s mission including a strong interest in animal welfare
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Interest in developing new competencies as needed for the responsibilities of the position
- Ability and willingness to travel to related seminars, conferences, training, meetings, etc.
Terms of employment: Full-time in PCRM’s Metro-accessible office in Washington DC’s Friendship Heights neighborhood.
Compensation: PCRM offers a competitive nonprofit salary, commensurate with experience, as well as a comprehensive benefits package that includes opportunities for continuing education and professional development.
How to apply: Please e-mail a cover letter (see note below) and your résumé to: careers at pcrm dot org (Please note Medical Research Specialist in the subject line of your e-mail.)
Note: Please include the following in your cover letter: a specific explanation of your interest in joining PCRM, where/how you found out about this career opportunity, and your salary requirement.
Please e-mail a cover letter and your résumé to: careers at pcrm dot org (Please note Medical Research Specialist in the subject line of your e-mail.)