- Arrive early and stay until the end. Attending a social event? Make sure to arrive early and stay until the end so that you have the chance to "connect meaningfully" with people when there aren't too many people.
- Carry business cards with you wherever you go. You simply never know who you will meet. Don't be afraid to bring up business and to pass along your card.
- Create an online profile on LinkedIn. This is the largest professional social networking website and membership is free.
- Follow-up with an e-mail or phone call after you meet someone interesting. Need a reason to follow-up? Ask for some additional information regarding something you had discussed previously.
- Finally, be intentional about meeting new people. This may seem obvious, but so many people (especially those who are introverts) have a difficult time doing this. We're so comfortable chatting with friends and people we already know. Be intentional about starting conversations with new people.
Monday, December 20, 2010
5 Tips to Network More Effectively (and Intentionally) this Holiday Season
This holiday season, you may have the opportunity to expand your social networks if you act more intentionally. Here are a few tips that may help you create some meaningful connections: