Oppenheimer & Co. Inc. (New York, New York)
Oppenheimer & Co. Inc., one of the leading investment banks for mid- to small-cap companies, is currently seeking a research associate to support our senior Biotechnology analyst.
Our ideal candidate possesses 1-2 years of equity research or related experience, has an advanced science or medical degree (M.D., Ph.D. or equivalent), and has a passion in the biotechnology and healthcare spaces. The research associate will work in conjunction with and support the lead analyst on all aspects of developing the biotech equity research product. Impeccable attention to detail, a strong work ethic, the ability to multi-task, and excellent communication skills are required. This person will also have strong writing and financial modeling skills and an ability to learn and adapt quickly to the lead analysts product framework. Research licenses (Series 7, 63, 86, 87) are preferred, but exceptional candidates without licenses will also be considered.
The key responsibilities for this position at the start include: building and maintaining company financial models and detailed therapeutics market models; preparing company-specific and industry-wide research reports and presentations; collecting, analyzing and interpreting information from a range of data sources, including the scientific literature, medical conferences, physician interviews as well as other consultants; and maintaining databases (prescriptions tracker, company catalysts, published notes, etc.).
In general, at Oppenheimer, we look for people who possess, or have the potential to possess, the following characteristics:
- Strong writing and analytical skills. Associates are responsible for writing and producing equity research reports, company initiations, and marketing presentations"often under very tight constraints time constraints;
- Strong financial modeling, accounting, valuation, and quantitative skills. Associates are responsible for building and maintaining integrated I/S, B/S, and C/F models and for organizing and maintaining industry data. Attention to detail is critical;
- A passion for the stock market, and equity research. It is highly advantageous to have exposure to the financial markets and equity research, as well as the day-to-day responsibilities of an equity research associate;
- Strong sales and communication skills. As time progresses, associates will interact with internal sales and trading and external clients. Responsiveness and professionalism is important;
- Initiative, an ability to take risks and think outside the box, an ability to handle high-pressure situations; and a strong work ethic;
- PC skills: the position requires very strong Excel skills and a fair command of PowerPoint, Bloomberg and Factset.