Healthcare Innovation and Entrepreneurship applies a focused approach toward sustainable healthcare innovation. Students will be introduced to definitions and concepts that include the innovation process, design thinking, “intrapreneurship,” entrepreneurship, six sigma principles of process improvement, regulatory issues, patent law, and the market forces that impact the healthcare innovation process. All students will gain confidence in the basic elements of the initial discovery phase in the healthcare innovation process, including
- Defining and describing key components of the healthcare innovation process.
- Becoming aware of challenges to the quality of healthcare delivery and the opportunity for improved patient care and cost reductions.
- Learning and practicing a step-by-step “needs finding” process and a “needs filtering” process for identifying and prioritizing real clinical problems and opportunities for innovation.
- Developing cross-disciplinary collaboration skills.
- Strengthening communication and leadership skills in advocating health systems change.