The eighth biennial survey of ACPE members identifies key trends and factors driving today's physician executive compensation and serves as an essential reference resource for physician executives and healthcare organizations developing leadership roles for physicians.
Overall median compensation for physician executives in 2011 = $305,000
The two-year rate of increase in total compensation – at 5.9% – is well below the 11.6% increase reported in 2009 and the lowest since the 2001 survey reported 5.0% increase. Higher-ranking physician executives experienced a greater reduction in the rate of growth in total compensation than those in other roles.
Most physician leaders expressed a need for stronger skills around financial analysis, strategic planning, and conflict resolution.
Here are some questions to consider:
- If you are a physician executive, do you work in a hospital that supports leadership education?
- In the setting of national health care reform, will physician executive compensation drop?
- What is the process for determining bonus compensation for practicing physicians and executives?
- If you are in a highly-compensated specialty, would you be willing to make less to work in administration?
- Do you feel like you need a graduate degree in business (MBA) or medical management (MMM)?
- If you transition into a management role, do you also plan to maintain a clinical practice?
About the American College of Physician Executives
The American College of Physician Executives (ACPE), located in Tampa, Florida, is the leading national professional association representing physicians in management and with a membership of over 10,000 including some of the nation's top healthcare leaders. The American College of Physician Executives is the AMA-recognized specialty society representing physicians in healthcare leadership. For nearly 30 years, physicians nationwide have chosen ACPE's innovative educational and career development programs to build the knowledge and skills they need to shape the future of health care.
About Cejka Search
Cejka Search is a nationally recognized healthcare executive and physician search organization providing services exclusively to the health care industry for more than 30 years. Partnering with our client organizations to identify and present only the best talent, Cejka Search completes assignments across all levels of the health care continuum and is a market leader in providing flexible, innovative search and recruitment services. Cejka Search is a Cross Country Healthcare, Inc. (Nasdaq: CCRN) company, a diversified leader in healthcare staffing services.