- How did you break into the field?
- Where do you see a person like me fitting into this field (industry, company)?
- What professional associations should I join?
- What professional publications or web sites should I follow?
- What are some of the issues your organization or field faces?
- What are the most necessary skills for these types of jobs?
- What kind of compensation could I expect in the first year?
- How should I prepare for job interviews in this field?
- What is a typical career path for someone entering at my level?
- What are some of the challenges I would face in this job/field?
- Who should I contact next, if anyone? (Be sure to keep a list and ask the advisor if they could provide an introduction or if may use their name when making contact.)
- May I keep in touch with you and let you know my progress?
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Informational interview questions
How can you learn about a new industry? Interview someone working there and conduct an "informational interview." Are you getting ready for an informational interview? Here are some questions you may want to ask: