Author: Thuc Huynh, MD
In the aim to provide support to health IT professionals who are looking to start a career, HIMSS puts up a program in conjunction with the Office of the National Coordinator and its program HIT Workforce Development. Health IT professionals can now go to HIMSS Jobmine either to post resumes or check out job postings from prospective employers.
With the obvious development in health technology and the corresponding increase in workforce demand, HIMSS wants to take part in providing the necessary resources to health IT professionals in kick starting their careers. Carla Smith, Executive VP for HIMSS was quoted saying, “With the growing demand in healthcare for information technology professionals, we also support the ONC HIT Workforce Development programs as those graduates enter into the job market. We provide these online career services to our members through the HIMSS Career Services Center, a distinction that sets the society apart from other organizations.”
Apart from the HIMSS Jobmine, those looking into joining the Health IT industry can access other offers by the Career Service Center Resources such as the following online services:
1. E-mentoring Program - promotes exposure by aspiring members with more experienced ones.
2. Academic Institution Access - gives access to subject matter experts and professionals connected with academic institutions.
3. Emerging Professional Webcasts - a 1-hour monthly webcast aimed at helping those who have recently joined the health IT industry, specifically those who have less than 5 years in tenure.
4. Career Services Pavilion - allows for job seekers, consultants and recruiters to meet at the HIMSS12.
5. HIMSS Job Services through HIMSS Jobmine - helps qualified IT professionals who are planning a change of career by matching them with corresponding organizations.
6. Virtual Career Fair - a virtual environment for employers and job seekers that is set to be introduced the latter part of the year.
About the author:
Dr. Thuc Huynh is CEO of ScrubdIN, a startup company that aims to help health professionals choose their next medical app. Her main interest lies around how medicine can play a role with web 2.0 and social media. Dr. Huynh is currently Chief Resident at her Family Medicine Residency in Rapid City, SD and received her B.S. and M.D. at the Medical University of the Americas.