Well, here's an example where one pharma/biotech company has declared that they will entertain physician candidates who don't have any industry experience:
Applicants without industry experience will be considered based on experience working with the pharmaceutical industry on study development, advisor, and presentation at company related eventsThe basic job qualifications for this job are listed like this:
- MD board certified/board eligible in Hematology/Oncology
- 5 years experience in both clinical research and patient care
- 3 years experience in biotech or pharmaceutical industry
Here's the rest of the job description:
Medical Director — Hematology/Oncology-15981You can find this job description by searching for job ID 5981 on the Genzyme careers website.
Genzyme Corporation, ranked as one of the foremost biotechnology companies in the world, is committed to providing an exceptional environment in which individuals can excel, and achieve their professional and personal goals. Genzyme's people and culture have been consistently recognized for excellence. For example, we have been named several times to Fortune's list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in the United States. We also consistently rank among the top employers for scientists in surveys of Science readers. Genzyme's local offices and facilities in Europe and other parts of the world have earned similar distinction as respected employers. By applying for a position with Genzyme, you are taking the first step toward becoming a part of our dynamic and talented team, and sharing in our continued success.
The Medical Director in Hematology/Oncology Medical Affairs will play a key role in the clinical and commercial development of marketed products, through activities related to investigator sponsored trials, company sponsored non-registration trials, publications, continuing medical education, KOL outreach, and by providing medical guidance for commercial activities. The primary goal of the Medical Director is to maximize patient benefit from Genzyme Transplant and Oncology products through ensuring their safe and appropriate use. This position is within the Transplant and Oncology Business Unit and reports to the Vice President, Medical Affairs.
Job Responsibilities/Department description:
1. Identify, develop, and maintain partnering relationships with current and future thought leaders
2. Collaborate with thought leaders to develop potential clinical therapeutic ideas that will support Genzyme's vision and also develop concepts for investigator initiated non-registrational pre-clinical and/or clinical studies
3. Drive internal and external communication strategies for state-of-the-art disease information and clinical messaging
4. Define medical marketing and messaging approaches in alignment with product strategy
5. Provide clinical support for field sales efforts in providing the scientific and clinical information necessary in order to improve patient care
6. Provide support for speaker development
7. Assist with the clinical training of internal stakeholders as needed
8. Provide scientific and clinical expertise at major medical congresses
9. Support Genzyme's clinical trials initiatives
10. Foster scientific and clinical information exchange between the medical community and Genzyme
11. Provide scientific and clinical support for formulary and clinical guidelines decision makers
12. Collect and report competitive intelligence within Genzyme's guidelines