When you speak with medical students and physicians about "research jobs," they often think about clinical research or basic science research. There are other types of research jobs in the world of health care. For instance, you may work in a market research company. Or, you may have a job focusing on medical education research.
Here's an example of a market research job at Harris Interactive (posted on 10/14/2009, so I doubt it's still vacant, but you never know):
VP, Research - Healthcare Research
Harris Interactive is a global leader in custom market research. With a long and rich history in multimodal research, powered by our science and technology, we assist clients in achieving business results. Harris Interactive serves clients globally through our North American, European and Asian offices and a network of independent market research firms. For more information, please visit http://www.harrisinteractive.com/.
Develops and manages existing research capabilities, establishes a significant market presence in the healthcare/pharmaceutical industry for the organization.
* Develops and executes comprehensive plans and programs, short and long term, to support significant sales and revenue objectives of organization.
* Develops and recommends product positioning, marketing, and pricing strategy to produce the highest possible long-term market share and profitability.
* Oversees and evaluates market research and adjusts marketing strategy to meet changing market and competitive conditions.
* Establishes and maintains relationships with industry influencers and key community and strategic partners.
* Recruits and manages research staff.
* Establishes and maintains an overall strategic marketing plan designed to build awareness of research capabilities.
* Present research findings at industry conferences and events on a regular basis.
* Provide direction on new research product development.
* Lead the effort to build normative databases.
Job ID: 2009-2660, click here to view this job post.
* Responsible for managing the research for the Healthcare/pharmaceutical sector.
* Thorough understanding of research applications.
* Proven track record of selling to existing accounts and/or new accounts in the Healthcare/pharmaceutical industry. Ability to bring in existing or new business.
* Advanced degree or equivalent, Master's degree or PhD preferred.
* Ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
* Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
* Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
* Ability to effectively present information to top management and public groups, as required.