There are so many different types of freelance medical writing opportunities for physicians. Some may take 15 minutes to briefly review and edit. Other projects may last 3 to 6 months (especially if you're a contract writer). Some writing projects don't pay, while others may pay up to several thousand dollars.
If you enjoy writing and you'd like to develop your "portfolio" of writing projects, consider a few things:
- Do you enjoy writing casually or do you see yourself writing professionally?
- How much do you really know about the medical writing industry?
- Do you plan to focus on a specific area within the medical writing industry?
- Do you plan to work full-time or part-time?
- Are you willing to write for "free" so that you can establish a robust portfolio?
- How many people do you know in the medical writing industry?
If you're interested in "breaking in" to the medical writing industry and you're willing to work on a few small projects (for free) to build up your portfolio, perhaps I can help. Contact me if you're interested. Once again, these projects would not involve any type of payment, but they could help you get established in the medical writing industry.