If you make the transition from the clinical world of medicine into the non-clinical business side of healthcare, be prepared for the popular question: why? You'll obviously get other questions, but it's critical that you really think about this important question.
- Are you burned out?
- Do you hate your job?
- Are you having trouble with performance?
- Is there friction in the workplace?
- Did you choose the wrong medical specialty?
- Are you dissatisfied with your income?
- Do you want more flexibility in your life?
- Are you looking for career advancement?
Here are a few other questions to consider:
- Do you have a realistic perception of what life is like on the non-clinical side?
- Will you have regrets about leaving clinical medicine?
- Are you willing to have less job security, given our current economic state?
- Do you want to climb the corporate ladder of success?
- Will you get burned out with a non-clinical career?
- What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?